Syllabus for RRB Staff and Welfare Inspector Exams
Organizational set up of Railways
1. Present status of Railway as a Transport organization and social
responsibilities and evolving trends.
2. Organization of Railways, various units, departments, Divisionalization,
Decentralization of authority, Role of Personnel Department vis-à-vis other
3. Manpower planning, Training, Benchmarking.
4. All chapters in IREM Vol I, 1989 & Vol II 1990 and IREC Vol I, 1995 & Vol II
2005 (Reprint Edition), Pension Manual, Provisions and Rulings, Policy
circulars, Schedule of Powers with respect to establishment matters.
5. Important registers & forms in office, and at stations/depots, Files & their
maintenance, single file system and its advantages, DAK system, registration.
6. Computerization of Personnel Department, PRIME & AFFRES
7. Budget, Parliamentary questions, VIP/CA references.
Roles and Duties of S & WI
1. Grievances handling machinery on Railways.
1. Seniority Rules and Reservation Rules and its applicability
2. Promotion by selection & non-selection, suitability tests, trade tests, adhoc
and officiating, refusal of promotion and its effects.
3. Pay fixation on promotion/in ex-cadre/under Pay Commission, stepping up of
4. Increments, Special Increments, regular and supplementary bills.
5. Allowances particularly HRA, Transport Allowance, TA & DA, Composite Transfer
Grant, Dual Charge Allowance and Officiating Allowance, Honorarium, Running
6. Advance and Withdrawals from PF and other Advances/Loans.
7. Service matters – Joining Time, Change in Date of Birth, Age Review.
8. The Railway Services (Conduct) Rules, 1966.
9. Medical Decategorization and alternative Employment.
10. Maintenance of Service Records and Leave Accounts, Leave Rules.
11. Pass Rules, Pass Account.
12. The Railway Servants (Discipline & Appeal) Rules, 1968.
13. All subject matters covered in Master Circulars No. 1 to 70
CASUAL LABOUR/SUBSTITUTES/ACT APPRENTICES
1. Casual Labour and Substitutes – their engagement, Rules and procedures.
2. Recruitment and Live Casual Labour Registers and their maintenance.
3. Screening of Casual Labour and Substitutes, Verification of Working Days,
Casual Labour Cards.
4. Temporary Status, benefits to Casual Labour and Substitutes.
5. Training of Apprentices under Apprentice Act.
1. Labour Laws on Contract Labour.
2. Employees Compensation Act.
3. Payment of Wages Act.
4. Minimum Wages Act.
5. Factories Act.
6. Railway Servants (Hours of Work and Period of Rest) Rules, Job Analysis.
7. Meeting with LEO & Labour Commissioner, Labour Court, Industrial Tribunal
8. CAT Act.
9. Trade Union Act.
10. Right to Information Act.
1. Trade Unions- PNM, FNMs.
4. Facilities to Recognised Unions
5. Policy regarding Unrecognized Unions, Worker’s Participation in Management.
1. SBF Constitution, Rules, Allocation of Funds, Meeting Budget.
2. Mahila Samitis – Constitution and Activities.
3. Railway Institutes and Clubs – Constitution and Activities.
4. Recruitment against Scouts/Cultural/Sports Quota.
5. Scouts and Guides Activities.
6. Provision for Handicapped.
7. Co-operative Societies, Industrial Training Centers, Housing Societies.
8. Canteens – statutory & non-statutory, amenities policy.
9. Awards to Staff, Relief Funds.
10. Holiday Homes, Holiday Camps and their Organisation.
11. Sports and Cultural Activities.
12. Works Programme Proposals – Staff quarters and Staff Amenities.
EDUCATION AND TRANINING
1. Railway Schools – Types, Organization Policy.
2. Subsidies, Reimbursement of Fees.
3. Adult Literacy – Literacy Drive.
5. Training Manual and Training Institutions.
1. Facilities for SC/ST/OBCs etc.
2. Reservation Rules.
3. Maintenance of Reservation Rosters.
MEDICAL ASSISTANCE AND BENEFITS
1. Contributory & Liberalized Health Schemes.
2. Family Planning Incentives.
3. Medical Cards and their Entitlement.
4. Hospital Visiting Committees.
5. Homeopathic/Ayurvedic Dispensaries. Subsidies.
1. Rules and Procedures.
2. Verification of Certificates
1. Normal Settlement Dues and their calculation.
2. Other than Normal Settlement Procedure and dues.
3. Compensation Cases.
4. Ex-gratia Cases.
1. Types and Checks.
2. Methods of checks.
3. Registers Maintained by Various Units, Grievances, Attendance, Overtime,
Cadre, Casual Labour Muster Rolls.
4. Displaying of Statutory Notices.
1. Regular Salary Bills, Supplementaries, Statements to be attached to the
2. Deductions Permissible
3. Arrears Claims.
4. Unpaid Wages List, Procedure of disposal of them in Accounts Office and Cash
5. Internal Checks – Points of Checking.
6. Allowances, Advances & their Recoveries.
OFFICIAL LANGUAGE ACT AND RULES – IMPLEMENTATION THEREOF